Israel vows to go after Hezbollah as it names another killed

W460

Israel vowed Sunday it would hit Hezbollah again if threatened, as it identified what it described as a commander killed in strikes a day earlier that also left several children dead.

Israeli strikes on Saturday killed 11 people in southern Lebanon, according to authorities, in the deadliest attacks since a deal was reached in June aimed at ending hostilities.

Israel said the strikes were a response to Hezbollah setting off explosive drones inside a so-called "security zone" in southern Lebanon, seriously injuring three Israeli troops including an officer.

"No score will be left unsettled in any arena. We'll defend our soldiers and our civilians with full power," Defense Minister Israel Katz wrote on X.

The Israeli military identified one of those killed on Saturday as Abu Hassan Alaa, saying he was a senior commander of Hezbollah's Badr unit who had been involved in firing drones at Israeli troops.

Israel earlier said that a strike had killed a commander in Hezbollah's elite Radwan Force, Ali Samir Al-Haj Hassan.

The Israeli military acknowledged that Hassan's family was present but defended the strike by saying they were not the target.

President Joseph Aoun said a "whole family" had been killed in the strike in the village of Ansar, with Lebanon's health ministry reporting that three children and two women died.

Imran Riza, the U.N. humanitarian coordinator for Lebanon, condemned the strike.

"Children and civilians continue to pay an unacceptable price. International humanitarian law is clear: civilians must be protected at all times," he said.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office accused Hezbollah of deliberately placing civilians in harm's way.

Hezbollah denied the account, saying that "another entire family has been wiped out following orders issued by Netanyahu."

"Netanyahu, who is the subject of proceedings before the International Criminal Court over war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in Gaza, is once again presiding over the killing of Lebanese civilians," Hezbollah said in a statement.

Hezbollah pulled Lebanon into the regional war in March by firing rockets at Israel in support of Iran, after U.S.-Israeli strikes there sparked war in late February.

Lebanon and Israel signed a U.S.-brokered deal in which Lebanon's army will gradually take over security in southern areas occupied by Israel, but Hezbollah has refused to disarm.

Comments 5
Missing phillipo 16 August 2026, 15:20

I'm sure that the LAF can give the IDF plenty of Hizballah seniors names to be eliminated.

Missing bandit 17 August 2026, 03:09

It was give Lebanon a chance for peace

Default-user-icon Cako (Guest) 17 August 2026, 00:27

انسحاب الاحتلال الإيراني أهم من الانسحاب الإسرائيلي؛ فإذا أُزيل السبب، تزول النتيجة تلقائياً.
والبديل عن حلّ "حزب الله" هو التقسيم وتشكيل دولة جديدة وجيش جديد؛ إذ لا يوجد خيار ثالث.

Thumb ice-man 17 August 2026, 11:32

How Sad....

Thumb chrisrushlau 17 August 2026, 19:32

Israel's public broadcaster had said that the drone attack on the IDF followed IDF seizures of hostages in Lebanon. Global Times has a review of a new Chinese movie about a Chinese cook in a restaurant in Iraq in 2003. "Once Upon a Time in the Middle East turns the camera the other way around. It asks a blunt question spoken to an American officer: 'Without you, where would the terrorists come from?'" If there were no Zionist state-like entity in Palestine, there would be no Hezbollah. Article 24's Christian supremacy in Lebanon would be history. The day is coming when collaborators with Israel will start making retirement plans.