Berri says US-Israeli proposals 'worse than May 17 Agreement'

Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri seemed disappointed after a visit by an American delegation mediating the ceasefire agreement and Hezbollah disarmament between Lebanon and Israel.
Berri said the American proposal was worse than an agreement signed in May 17 under American and Israeli pressure. That peace treaty reached in 1982 never materialized.
Berri told the Asas Media news portal, in remarks published Friday, that the Americans always prioritize Israel and that the delegation -- U.S. envoy Tom Barrack, U.S. diplomat Morgan Ortagus and three U.S. lawmakers -- did not give him any guarantees and told him last week in Beirut that there will be no Israeli withdrawal before Hezbollah disarms.
To Hezbollah and ally Berri, the group should not disarm before Israel respects the ceasefire reached in late November. Despite the deal, Israeli troops remained on five hills in south Lebanon they deemed "strategic". The Israeli army has also carried out almost-daily strikes and says it will continue until Hezbollah disarms.
Berri said he had agreed with Barrack that Lebanon needs guarantees and a step from Israel before disarming Hezbollah. Barrack back then said "the Lebanese government has done their part. They've taken the first step. Now what we need is Israel to comply."
But apparently after visiting Israel, Barrack returned to Lebanon with a negative response. "There will be no guarantees," Berri said.
The speaker stressed that Hezbollah's disarmament must be addressed in a domestic dialogue without external pressure and only after Israel withdraws.
Berri said there's a clear attempt to shift the burden to the army by tasking it with implementing the disarmament plan. "We won't allow anyone to harm the army or incite against it. The decision is political and the government must prepare the plan itself."
Berri expressed his concern about a possibility of escalation and blamed some domestic forces. "I'll remain steadfast in my position, which everyone knows in Lebanon and outside," he said. "It's dialogue, but now, no one wants dialogue."